SAD - Seasonal affected disorder
Dark days – Feeling low?
5 Easy Steps Up.
6 October 2020
At this time of year with the evenings darkening down, we find that many people become negative about facing the winter months. However, no need to resort to powerful synthetic drugs, this trend can be reversed by a few simple supplements.
- Omega 3: From seafood, this is successful in treating depression. It contains EPA and DHA and studies show that 1000mg/day is the optimum dose. Specifically reducing symptoms of aggression, as well as emotional and physical outbursts. It has been shown to improve how our brain cells communicate, raising serotonin – the feel good neurotransmitter in the brain.
- 5-HTTP: The amino acid tryptophan is needed to make serotonin, specifically 5-hydroxy-tytophan or 5-HTP for short. People who lack tryptophan become depressed and can get great relief when given 5-HTP. It is important to start off with a low dose as some can experience initial mild nausea and a slow release form of 5-HTP can be advantageous.
- Chromium: For good mental energy, one should stick to a low GI diet (low Gylcemic Index). For example, wholegrains, beans, lentils, chickpeas etc. Brain cells run on glucose, and Chromium is an essential mineral for insulin production ad blood sugar control. Remarkably, it can work within hours, certainly days!
- B Vitamins: Methylation is a process that fine tunes your brain’s chemistry, helping make neurotransmitters like serotonin. Methylation is heavily dependent on B Vitamins, especially B6, B12 and Folic Acid (Folate). Zinc and TMG (tri-methylglycine) are also vital.
(See Solgar’s Homocysteine Modulators, which contain these nutrients).
- Vitamin D: Official Government advice is to supplement with Vitamin D. This is especially important from October to March when the sun is low, and we are outdoors less often. A level of 1000iu/day would be the minimum recommended.
General guidelines – a low G.I. diet, plenty of oily fish, low sugar intake, as well as stimulants and alcohol.
Supplement with Omega 3, B Vitamins, Vitamin D, Zinc, Chromium, 5-HTP, TMG.